Whelans, Dublin, 7th May 2016

Post by humphrey » 17 Dec 2015 14:30

THE FRANK & WALTERS
Live at Whelans, Saturday 7th May

Tickets: €20 includes booking fee, on sale tomorrow at 9am
Doors: 8pm
This show is over 18’s, I.D is required

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/venueartist/198293/1782542

The Frank & Walters are synonymous with great albums, radio hits and a live show that has taken them all over the world during the course of a celebrated and critically acclaimed career. The Irish indie legends are set to release a new album titled Songs for the Walking Wounded in March 2016 with a show at Whelans, Dublin on Saturday, May 7th.

Since appearing on Top of the Pops during the 90s, while also gracing the covers of NME and Melody Maker, the Frank & Walters have consistently delivered classic indie pop in the form of hits such as ‘After All’, ‘Fashion Crisis Hits New York’ and ‘Indie Love Song’.

The band’s last album, Greenwich Mean Time, saw the Frank & Walters reach a whole new audience, both at home and abroad, with gigs in the US and as far as Japan for the first time. The Franks have also become regular festival favourites at some of the Europe and Ireland’s biggest summer events including Electric Picnic 2015 and the Shiine On Weekender in the UK.

Songs for the Walking Wounded will be the band’s seventh studio album, due for release on FIFA Records next Spring.

The Frank and Walters
Live at Whelans, Saturday 7th May
Tickets: €20 includes booking fee, on sale tomorrow at 9am
Doors: 8pm

Robbie Williams
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Post by Robbie Williams » 05 Mar 2016 09:54

Fights booked for this one!

ShepGlos

Post by ShepGlos » 18 Apr 2016 20:38

Fights? Bloomin hell. We thought the Franks fans were a peaceful crowd. We've booked flights for this one. Looking forward to it.

Irishshin

Post by Irishshin » 08 May 2016 11:20

This gig was so so so good!!! Definitely the gig of the year so far!!!!!

Stages is as amazing live as I thought would be!

KitKat404

Post by KitKat404 » 08 May 2016 17:03

This is in my top 3 Franks’ gigs of all time and in my top 3 concerts of anybody of all time (which probably amounts to the same thing)
Is it the venue? Is it the crowd? This is the second time I’ve been blown the flip away in Whelans. I just want to live there.
The sound was PERFECT. Every instrument. Every word. Crystal clear.
So first off, as I hoped they would, they played Tony Cochrane. I feel such a surge of pride when they play this outside of Cork. I’m not even from Cork, but I’ve lived there for so long, that it just makes my heart burst. It must be some weird Stockholm syndrome. I don’t know. The Franks are brilliant.
Colours was the second song. The second song!!! I mean, are they trying to kill us??? Amazing! Everybody was dancing and singing the “doo doo doo doo doo doo doo” bit. The party had officially started.
I can’t remember the exact order of the rest of the set, but it was one exciting, euphoric, singfest after another.
Somewhere in the City - so sunny and sweet and absolutely beautiful live. Let’s take a moment to appreciate the brilliance of Cian’s synths and the gentleness of Paul’s vocals and lyrics.
There were so many favourites : Fashion Crisis, The Model, The Parson, How Can I Exist, Plenty Times - Paul couldn’t start singing it for a bit cos of technical difficulties - the crowd sang instead. It was truly awesome. So many voices singing those warm words of encouragement. Truly uplifting.
They only quietened things down once, when they played Goddess of Athena. How delicious is the line, “the tale Eurepidis had told was getting ready to unfold”?? !! Eurepidis Eurepidis Eurepidis! I flipping love that word!
It was ridiculously exciting to hear Stages live for the first time. No Ian or Cillian live on the night. The narrative bit was from the recording. But damn it sounded great live. It’s an addictive, catchy piece of gorgeousness just bursting with quintessential Franks’ positivity.
We Are the Young Men : I defy anyone not to dance to this! Let’s take a moment to acknowledge what a flipping amazing drummer Ashley is…
Boom boom boom boom boom boom
Catchy as hell.
Walter’s Trip, The Parson, This is not a Song, After All, Indian Ocean (and a cheer from a few rows back for ‘the side of the Lee’ bit) and Michael. Total euphoria. At some point in the night, Paul ditched his shirt. He hasn’t done that in years. Was it the heat in the venue or the spirit of the evening?
It was such a treat to hear Little Dolls which we hadn’t heard live in a long time.
Circumstance is incredible.
I think now’s a good time to say that Rory is flipping amazing guitarist.
And finally Time We Said Goodnight, my own personal highlight. Irishshin and I had been singing along to this for the past two weeks and just went bananas when they played it. Yipee for catharsis!
Really the band couldn’t have given much more!! Their passion, energy, talent and enthusiasm was electrifying. The crowd were fantastic too. They were excited from the get go and sung and danced and cheered throughout. I think that everybody enjoyed every single moment. It truly was a special night!
In the words of Fußgängerzone, when I feel sad and my life is real crappy I’ll think about last night and it’ll make me FEEL HAPPY
Last edited by KitKat404 on 09 May 2016 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

Sig

Post by Sig » 08 May 2016 18:53

That review was nearly as awesome as the gig KitKat! Last night was unbelievable, 'an insane gig' is how my brother described it. The boys really knocked it clean out of the park.
Robbie, Fergus and a few others arrived early into Dublin and we're incredibly privileged to have been able to hear 5 songs from SFTWW live in the soundcheck, wow. So special

I think that might have been the best gig I was ever at.. So many greats to pick from, bit last night was so unbelievably special. There was a stage after Walter's Trip I heard some shout 'jesus, please play a slow one next!', the chap just needed a rest like the rest. I near collapsed after Michael. I literally had to wring the sweat out of my t shirt after

Brilliant so see Rob and Fergus again.. Great fellows

I pulled the car into my driveway @ 4am absolutely shattered but still smiling

What a band, what a show, what a crowd and what a new album!

Roll on Shiiine!
Always remember, there is nothing worth sharing,
Like the love that let us share our name.

KitKat404

Post by KitKat404 » 09 May 2016 16:52

Hi Sig, awww thanks for saying that. You are right about it being insane. There was no let up, it was one exciting song after the next!! It was completely mental! Not a moment to take a breath. Flppin' brilliant! You lucky ducks hearing the 5 songs in soundcheck!!!! I really, really want to hear Fishes live!!!

TomW16

Post by TomW16 » 10 May 2016 03:54

It was epic!!! Still recovering!! LOL!! I did get a bit carried away when I jumped on stage topless.... but we'll say no more about that!! HA! HA! HA! There was a girl beside me at the front, Margaret I think her name was, she was screaming for Funky Cold Medina...was a little disappointed for her that they didn't play it....but a truly outstanding gig nonetheless!!!! Roll on Manchester on the 28th!!