humphrey
Admin
Admin

ash interview examiner 1st april 2016

Post by humphrey » 01 Apr 2016 14:26

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/ ... 90181.html

A question of taste: Ashley Keating discusses his favourite things

Thursday, March 31, 2016 Des O’Driscoll

Ashley Keating is drummer with the Frank & Walters. The Cork-based band release their new album, Songs For The Walking Wounded, at a launch gig at Cork Opera House on Friday, April 15. The bill also features Rubyhorse and a DJ set from Mike Joyce of The Smiths.

Ashley Keating of the Frank & Walters
Best recent book: Not a type of book I’d normally read but came across An affair with my Mother by Catriona Palmer and it’s really powerful, it’s usually spy books for me!

Best recent film: I only seem to see kids films these days but most of them are great, saw Zootropolis over the weekend and it’s brilliant.

Best recent show/exhibition/gig you’ve seen: Visited the Francis Bacon exhibition in the Hugh Lane recently, I’d been before but bringing the kids threw a whole new light on it.

What formats do you access music? I do listen through Spotify but still buy a lot of music, not a huge fan of CD’s so try to buy vinyl when it’s available, definitely enjoying the mini vinyl revival.

Best piece of music you’ve been listening to lately (new or old): Cork band The Altered Hours new album is something else, I can’t stop listening to it.

First ever piece of music or gig that really moved you: The first time I really understood the power of music was when I heard Autobahn by Kraftwerk. Previously I had been listening to bands that spelt out what they were trying to get across in the lyrics, I was amazed that you could convey an emotion without lyrics.

The best gig or show you’ve ever seen: I know Cork people of a certain age go on a bit about Sir Henry’s but it did have a magic about it. If I was to pick one gig it would be Blue in Heaven, probably late 1987 around the time of the rock and roll RIP EP. After that gig I knew what a drummer’s job was. Before that I had just been hitting things randomly and hoping for the best. I’m not even sure who the drummer was for that tour, I never got a chance to thank him.

Tell us about your TV viewing: I’m a bit behind on TV, just in the middle of Breaking Bad, only getting down with the box set/netflix thing of late. I’m a total sports nut, I’d watch anything, been watching Kabaddi of late, an Indian game which is like a cross between wrestling, release and holding your breath, it’s nuts!

Radio listening: I do the Irish music show on Red FM (Green on Red) so listen to that a bit. In the car I listen to Newstalk, and online to Teleport UK or Gem Radian which is a sort of 1980s alternative station.

Name three of your music heroes: Keith Moon for drumming, Morrissey for lyrics and Dave Gedge (The Wedding Present) for perseverance.

Your best celebrity encounter: We met Paul McCartney when we did Top of the Pops in the early 1990s. They don’t come more famous than that.

Most expensive item of clothing you’ve ever bought: I think I paid about 700 quid for a jacket once, can’t remember which one though. Definitely the most pointless thing I’ve bought is a pair of adidas trainers from the early 1970’s that can’t be worn, they were about 300 quid. It makes sense to me as I collect them but most people just shake their head.

Tech habits: Sad to say I’ve become totally reliant on my phone, it’s become like an extra organ and soon it will probably define who I am.

Unsung hero – individual or group you think don’t get the profile/praise they deserve: The International Federation of Vexillological Associations do great work in the field of flags, you hardly ever hear anything about them, which is a shame, hopefully next years congress meeting in London will change that.

You are king for a day — what’s your first decree? One hour of silence during the day would be great, say between 2pm and 3pm. And naps, I’d definitely make naps compulsory.